Thursday, September 3, 2009

Promise them the world...

...but don't tell them how you're going to pay for it.

The other day when I was at that healthcare "rally" that the Obama people put on, I listened to Jeremy Byrd, the deputy director of Organizing for America (the continuation of what was previously Obama for America) give a speech about what President Obama views as the principles behind healthcare reform.



I was struck by everything that Mr. Byrd promised in that short segment. No pre-conditions, no canceling coverage, limits on co-pays, and yes, lower costs overall. And I'm left with the question:

How exactly are we going to pay for all that?

Medicare has been going broke for decades. If there was easy money (waste and fraud) to be found there, wouldn't they have gone after that to save Medicare? Where is all this money in Medicare going to come from if not from less care?

My parents used to tell me you don't get anything for nothing, and not to trust someone who promised you the world. "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

A little cartoon today over at Sharp Elbows StL sums this up nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment